Remembering Tony Faul, a son’s tribute

Sympathy is extended to the family and friends of Anthony ('Tony') Leo Faul, who passed away at Orange on 19th September 2018, at the age of 90.

He is survived by his children Peter, David, Colleen, Joseph,William and Jane, their spouses and families.

The graveside funeral service for Mr Faul was held in the Catholic portion of the Eugowra cemetery with Father Laurie Beath officiating.

William Faul wrote and read his father's Eulogy:

We are here today to remember the man we knew as Tone, Dad, Old Man and Pop.

Tony was born in Orange on April 16 1928 to Margaret Bridget (known as Marge) and Leo Faul. He was the brother of two sisters Marion and Judy whom he protected and loved as much as his darling mother.       

In 1939 Tony’s father Leo enlisted in the army and Tony did not see him again until much later in life.  

As a young boy in 1935 at the age of 7yrs Marge sent Tony to Coonamble to live with Jack and Mary Landers while she cared for her two young daughters.  There, he attended school in Coonamble, and with Jack learnt about the land, sheep and shearing and most of all horses. He was given his first pony by Jack, so he could ride to school with his mates.

Talking about Jack would bring a cheeky grin to his face with a laugh and a tear in his eyes for the man he knew as his father.

His love for horses stayed with him throughout life, with his kids riding the horses he would bring home to be broken in.

He also loved the ‘Red Hotters’ -  he was given a life membership of the Eugowra Trotting Club in August 1994 for his tireless hard work and commitment to the club.

As a young fella, Tone was pretty handy at footy, playing for Grenfell and winning the Maher cup in 1952.

Before he was married Tone liked to attend the local dances in Grenfell and told a story about having a hard time getting Norma on the hook so thought he’d make her jealous by taking another young lady to the dance, it worked!

In 1953 he married the only woman who could handle him - Norma Dawn Shaw.

As a couple they enjoyed dancing and tennis they looked so happy on the dance floor. They quickly had 3 children, Peter in 1953, David in 1955 and Colleen in 1958. In 1959 the family moved to Eugowra so Tone could continue playing football. Then along came Joseph in 1960 and William in 1961.

At this stage Norm demanded it was time to hang up the boots and in his last season for Eugowra in 1962,  when Eugowra played Macquarie it was noted that he was sent off playing in the centres rather than his usual position in the front row.

Finally Jane arrived in 1966 in an almighty hurry. Norm didn’t even make it to the hospital.

From here life was one of hard work and determination which he instilled in all of his children. He was a staunch Labour supporter, who not only worked hard but played hard at days end.

Tony was known around the area for his teaching of young shearers and training horses. As life slowed down he looked for less physical work and a quieter life.

It was then he commenced work with Keith Hoswell, Teddy Harris and Jack Hay at Eugowra Sawmill. He then moved on to his final job as a wardsman at Eugowra Memorial Hospital where he made many good friends and ate too many of Grace, Mavis’s and Mrs Perry’s cakes. He would ride his pushbike to and from work every day.

As the children married and the family grew and life slowed down. Tony and Norm had more time to enjoy with their grandchildren. Regularly raving at the Newsagents about their sporting accolades and other achievements.

On Sunday the 27th of April 1997 he suddenly lost ‘Mum’ his best-friend, soul-mate and mother of his children.

Tony eventually had to part with his beloved property ‘Linfield’ and move into care at Eugowra MPS and eventually to Orange to be closer to family. It was here he made great friends who loved and gave him the care he needed right ‘til the very end

Dad said – ‘He enjoyed the ride, played hard, loved harder and laughed but most of all had no regrets’.

At last Tone it’s time to dance once again with ‘Mum’ you’ve been waiting such a long time.