Work to build new, long-awaited netball courts for Forbes has begun.
Stage one of the work, now under way, will see four new courts built for the netball precinct.
The new courts will include one that is designed for multi-use so it can cater for basketball and netball, Forbes Shire Council said in a media release.
All will be constructed to Netball NSW recommended standards including non-slip surface, regulation spacing and fitted with lighting.
The project also includes the installation of structures that will allow for the installation of roofing over the complex at a later date.
This project is partly funded by the Federal Government under the Community Development Grants Program.
It's now more than two-and-a-half years since then Senator Fiona Nash flew into Forbes to announce $600,000 in funding to upgrade the courts after the local club's biggest event of the year was cancelled due to the condition of the playing surfaces.
Remedial work has been done to get players back on court in the mean time.
Forbes Netball Association's Robyn Kenny is thrilled to see work to build the new courts beginning, she's also excited that it will make the precinct that will be able to host multiple sports with the inclusion of basketball.
"It's so exciting to see the work finally begin," she said.
Forbes Shire Council is planning minimal impact on users of the facility and surrounding areas including the car park, with the skate park and entire worksite fenced off ensuring safety for all surrounding facility users.
Even with fewer courts, it's all go for regular competition and Forbes netball on Monday hosted some 400 local primary school students for annual schools netball gala day.
More than 40 teams from the shire's primary schools registered to be part of the annual event.