Fire station open day | Photos

Children got to explore the fire engines and test the fire hoses at the annual Fire Station Open Day on Saturday.

An estimated 350 people went down to the fire station for a sausage sizzle and the chance to chat to local firies about the critical work they do and about home fire safety.

Station Captain Brian Clarke said the day was very successful and they would like to thank Bernardi's and the Council for supporting the event.

With winter fast approaching members of Fire and Rescue NSW (FRNSW) are reminding people to be careful when using heaters.

FRNSW Community Safety and Research Chief Superintendent Mick Morris said the cooler months see a 10% increase in the number of home fires, with more fires in bedrooms and loungerooms due to heaters, electric blankets, and the like.

Other major causes of fires they see are due to flames or heat sources in kitchens being left unattended.

Kitchen fires account for 45 per cent of all residential fires and 34 per cent of injuries in NSW. Flames or heat sources being left unattended are the most common cause contributing to kitchen fires, Chief Superintendent Morris said.

FRNSW recommends the following safety checklist for home cooks:

  • Never leave cooking unattended. If you leave the kitchen, turn off the stove. It takes just three minutes for a fire to take hold, but only seconds to prevent one.
  • Dont put anything metallic in the microwave.
  • Keep matches and lighters out of reach of children.
  • Dont cook under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
  • Turn pot handles inwards to avoid being knocked or grabbed by children.
  • Keep your oven and rangehood clean. Excess grease and fat can ignite in a fire.
  • If your pan catches fire, dont throw water on it Get out, stay out and call Triple Zero, '000'.