Top notch field remains for Burnie International

Caterpillar Burnie International tournament director Matt Scott says a slight reshuffle to the players entered for the event has not impacted the depth of the field.

Since moving to the second week of the Australian Open last year, the Burnie International has been at risk of losing some of the top players in the field if they advance deep in the first major of the season.

But Scott said the tournament has been lucky this year with very few players needing to withdraw from Burnie because of an extended run in Melbourne.

"It hasn't been impacted at this stage, there are a couple of guys that haven't been confirmed yet because they are still playing doubles," he said.

"A lot of the players love coming to Burnie and really love the tournament and the facilities and it is excited to get them all down.

The only player of real note in the men's field to drop out was 2015 champion South Korea's Hyeon Chung, who has been battling since the back half of the 2019 season.

IN THE WOMEN'S FIELD: 2019 champion Belinda Woolcock. Picture: Simon Sturzaker

IN THE WOMEN'S FIELD: 2019 champion Belinda Woolcock. Picture: Simon Sturzaker

The only player still with his place in the tournament up in the air was Australia's Alex Bolt, who was knocked out of the Australian Open singles and doubles on Thursday and Friday.

Outside of that, Scott said the quality at the top of the men's was very strong.

"We have Steven Diez back to defend his title this year and we also have some other high ranked players with Germany's Yannick Maden and Taro Daniel, who is on the borderline of the top 100," he said.

"We also have a strong contingent of Australians with the likes of Maverick Banes, Jason Kubler, Blake Mott, Dayne Kelly, Max Purcell, Andrew Harris and Harry Bourchier."

Scott said the women's field has remained strong at the top, but 2019 women's champion Belinda Woolcock and Burnie regular Destanee Aiava have been added to the main field after originally being named as alternates.

"There is a wait still because of the doubles and mixed doubles in Melbourne, but we still have two top 100 players in Paula Badosa and Sara Sorribes Tormo.

"Belinda and Destanee are in the main draw now, while there are a lot of notable players in the qualifying with Jennifer Elie, Alison Bai, Gabriella Da Silva-Fick and Alexandra Bozovic."

CONFIDENT WITH QUALITY: Tournament director Matt Scott. Picture: Simon Sturzaker

CONFIDENT WITH QUALITY: Tournament director Matt Scott. Picture: Simon Sturzaker

The tournament will get underway on Monday with the first round for the men's field, outside of two qualifying matches.

On the women's side, 32 players will be battling out for places in the main field, including Tasmania's Jessica Fowler.

The matches will begin at 10am, with at least one game to be completed after 5.30pm.

This story Top notch field remains for Burnie International first appeared on The Advocate.