Veteran coach Cameron Greenhalgh knows his first grade side has a challenge in front of them when they host Wellington Cowboys in the opening round of the 2021 Group 11 campaign, but he also knows his squad is fit and well prepared for this season.
"We've built up nicely," he said in the lead-up to this Sunday's clash against the 2019 premiers.
"Wellington is always tough, and we always seem to step up against them.
"They're a quality side and if you have lapses against them they will beat you, so we have to do all the little things right."
The return of Justin Toomey-White ensures the Cowboys will be "dangerous".
"But we have got a strong pack, they're a young side but they're fit and that has show in the trials," Greenhalgh counters.
Forbes has welcomed back Nick Greenhalgh and Mitchell Andrews who, though still young, have plenty of experience in the higher grades.
And some of the Magpies from Forbes' own 2018 premiership side are still on board too.
With four trials behind them in what has seemed a long pre-season, the coach believes they've got a good start on the match fitness required as the group's senior players plan a come-back from a Covid-19 disrupted 2020.
It goes without saying that they'd love to have the Magpies faithful join them on what should be a stunning Autumn day at Spooner Oval.
League tag kicks off at 11am with the other grades to follow.
"We're looking to get the season off to a good start," Greenhalgh said.
"We've love to start fast, finish fast. That's the plan, and these plans don't always come together but we have done everything right these past couple of weeks."
Forbes Magpies Rugby League Club is also hosting its season launch at the Golfie from 6pm Friday.
There's a chance to hear from our 2021 coaching team and there'll also be a guernsey auction with the chance of winnings if your player scores Sunday's first try.
Our first grade side for the season opener is:
- Mitchell Andrews, proudly sponsored by Matt Bull Concreting
- Connor Greenhalgh, proudly sponsored by Matt Roylance Painting
- Tom Toohey, proudly sponsored by T and C Morrison Partnership
- Zeke Hartwig, proudly sponsored by Orcher Shearing and Work Control
- Henry Willis, proudly sponsored by Jack and Greenhalgh Builders
- Mitch Burke, proudly sponsored by Michael Robinson Real Estate
- Nick Greenhalgh, proudly sponsored by RAF Heating and Cooling
- Ben Maguire, proudly sponsored by Forbes Livestock
- Jordan Hartwig, proudly sponsored by Hazel and Field
- Tim Dukes, proudly sponsored by J and D Glass
- Traie Merritt, proudly sponsored by B and S Godden Building
- Tongia Fox, proudly sponsored by Platinum Painting
- Jake Hadrill, proudly sponsored by Southern End Boys
- Toby Hurford, proudly sponsored by C and D Floor Coverings
- Jake Stenhouse, proudly sponsored by Forbes Concrete.
- Cooper Martin
- 17 TBA